Saturday, April 15, 2006

Eye of the beholder

There are many words, which have different meanings to different people. People view different situations differently depending on all sorts of influences in their lives. I think they mainly define and interpret all things depending on how it may effect them, or maybe better how they may like for it to effect them. Like the quote from Abraham Lincoln's "Address at sanitary Fair" depicts men's interpretation of Liberty.

"The world has never had a good definition of the word liberty, and the American people, just now, are much in want of one. We all declare for liberty; but in using the same word we do not all mean the same thing. With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others the same word may mean for some men to do as they please with other men, and the product of other men's labor. Here are two, not only different, but incompatible things, called by the same name---liberty. And it follows that each of the things is, by the respective parties, called by two different and incompatible names---liberty and tyranny.

The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as a liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty, especially as the sheep was a black one. Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails to-day among us human creatures, even in the North, and all professing to love liberty. Hence we behold the processes by which thousands are daily passing from under the yoke of , hailed by some as the advance of liberty, and bewailed by others as the destruction of all liberty. Recently, as it seems, the people of Maryland have been doing something to define liberty; and thanks to them that, in what they have done, the wolf's dictionary, has been repudiated."

Perhaps the greatest source of this type of interpretation or divergence is the Bible. Gods Holy Word. Man, how we can be so far apart is something else. Like the meaning of 2nd Peter 3-9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." Armenians use this verse to say that God loves everyone and see, He is waiting to give everyone a chance to "Come to HIm". Calvinist read this verse and say see, He is talking to his chosen people, "to us-ward", and He will wait until the final elect creature is saved.
Others look at this and say see, there is so much disagreement and controversies in the Bible that I don't think I can believe any of it.

Of course being a Calvinist myself I believe God is in control. He hardens who he will and opens the eyes of who He will. He has mercy and compassion on whom He will. He is sovereign in All things. Romans 9:15-21" For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
[16] So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
[17] For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
[18] Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
[19] Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
[20] Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
[21] Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Some will say then what is the use of Preaching, what is the use of seaking, if God only chooses. It's His will. Do it. He tells us to preach and by preaching he will bring people to believe. He tells us to seek him. And those who do will find Him. Not because they "DO" but because He has "DONE".

4 comments:

Glenda, saved by grace said...

Wow, Much meat to chew on!!!
Love ya ,
Gendy

eileen~ said...

Great post and great and abiding Truth!

Jocelyne said...

that was awesome. I really like to think about the word perspective. I think it is the most important word in language and the most important "action" we will ever use.

Bocephus said...

Jocelyne, That is right. perspective is the key. I think that is what I was talking about the other night when I said I am now comfortable with what I believe. I dont feel the need to give every wind of doctrine a chance because of Who God Is. He has given me a perspective that is tied to his Soverignty which explains and defines all other things. Thanks for helping me see that even more clearly.