Monday, April 03, 2006

More Canyon tales

Mason and Carol have both talked about our week-end on their blogs but I would like to add my two bits. We did have a very good time on Saturday. We went to the Museum in Canyon first and I enjoyed it very much. I will need to go back someday by myself as I was rushed through and not allowed to take the time to see everything and read all the captions on the displays. I am always a little surprised at the quality of the museum. It seems like it would not be as nice as it is being in such a small town as Canyon and in the Panhandle of Texas. I remember going there as a young boy, prob. around 9 or 10 yrs old. I liked it then and have enjoyed it each time I have returned. One highlight was seeing the collection of guns that my Aunt and Uncle donated. He had reminded me a few weeks ago that he had given his John Wayne collection to the museum and as we toured thru the other day Carol asked what John's middle name was. I said it was Woodsen and she pointed out the collection.
It is neat to see the display on the oil industry in the Panhandle. As a resident you know most of the names of the ones that were successful in the business but it is neat to see their pictures and the old photographs of the drilling and boom towns. I imagined my Grandparents in Borger a little after the boom.

We had a good walk. I was surprised at Masons ability to hang with us. I was afraid he would run out of gas and get to whinnying but he made it pretty well. He did go off on his own however. After he started I got a picture in my mind and after realizing I had let him start too early I got a little concerned.



I couldn't shake the picture so I climbed the mountain after him. I went on adrenalin. I kept thinking I prob. couldn't make it. My 55 year old legs got a little shaky but I kept on going. When I got on top I called his name. No response. I scared some deer and I wondered what else I would jump. I called again. My breathing was pretty loud but I thought I heard a call. I waited a minute and tried to be quiet. I heard the sound again. I hollered again and then I heard clearly a "Hello" in return. I looked toward the sound and saw a white shirt. I was so relieved. I have heard the news reports and saw the headlines of peoples kids lost in the woods and even in the Canyon. I didn't want it to be about us.
We joined up and started to look for a way down. We could see a trail way down below and knew that we could prob. join up with Carol and Corbin if we could get to it. We choose a route and started down. It did get kind of serious in one spot. Had we slipped we might have slid about 30 feet onto some rocks. Not sure how bad it would have been but certainly not a lot of fun. It took a long time to get down. When we did I quit worrying about our safety and began worrying about what Carol was going to say. I was pretty sure she would be upset at us. We got on the trail and started making our way back to where it would intersect the main path. We turned to our left and began to walk in the direction I felt would take us to the truck. We heard someone calling and looked up to see Carol and Corbin at a rest stop about 100 yards away. We had taken a wrong turn and luckily we were close enough for them to see us and get us on the right path. She was not upset. She handled waiting an hour on us very well. I was very relieved again.

Next time we will not go off individualy and we will read this link before we go.

No comments: