Sunday, January 14, 2007

Stories

I am reading a Mark Twain book "Roughing It". I really like his style of writing. He tells lots of stories within the story in this book. The other night I was reading and began laughing. I laughed hard enough that I'm sure my neighbors next door heard and wondered what kind of party I was having. I laughed hard enough that I got tears in my eyes. He told a story that I was able to visualize the scene in my mind and it was just hilarious. I must have associated it with something in my past because I could feel and even hear the picture that was in my mind.
Some people have such a talent of story telling. Wish I did.
My Grand-dad Kizziar could tell stories. We would go to his house and my Dad would get him started by asking about old "So-in-So" or "What about such-in-such". He would tell stories then until we left. I wish I could remember them or that we would have recorded some of them.
"Roughing It" was Clemens 2nd book. I think he wrote 11. I have read 4 so far. Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Pudd'nhead Wilson and now Roughing It.
I think I will try to find The Innocents Abroad next.

1 comment:

Jocelyne said...

I love authors that make you feel like that - whether it's laughter or sometimes crying or a sense of empathy, whatever, it's a real gift if they can project those emotions into the pages. I've never read his books so I guess I'm going to have to put him on my list.