Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Cowboy Hat

Check Spelling
I have been on a Hat quest. A western Hat. I want a lite colored, 4 inch crown, 3 inch brim, and shaped just right Hat.

I had my first cowboy hat when I was too young to remember. I know I had one because I have a picture with it on at about 4 years old. I like that hat. I had cowboy hats from time to time growing up. We couldn't afford them always but if there was a special occasion I would get one. Some I liked OK, some I didn't. There is a look that is right. It's got the right crown height, the brim is the right length and its creased right.

My roommate at Alpine had one that I really liked. He had another one he liked best and would let me wear the one I liked. I kind of think it was his brothers, not sure why he had it. I liked that hat.

A friend of mine, a bull rider, showed up one time with a white hat. It had a 4 inch brim, which was big at that time. The crown was shaped kind of boxy. It cost $100.00. I had to have one. I had a job by then and money so I got it. It was always dirty. I cant remember what happened to it. I guess I didn't like that hat very much.

We were going to rodeos in Iowa and Missouri and a younger kid got in and travelled with us for awhile. He had a straw hat that he didn't like and gave it to me. It was creased right, the price was sure right and I liked that hat.

I got a hat for Christmas one time I liked and wore it out.

I bought a black felt hat some time ago. I have cut the brim down twice and carried it to the store to reshape 5 or 6 times. Its close to what I like but just not quite right. I had not worn it much untill recently. I have been looking for a new dress hat for about 6 months. I just don't find the right one. I'm willing to pay a lot more for this one if its the right one. I'm working you know, and have a little extra money, and other than the White Hat, I have never really splurged on a hat. I keep looking and talking but just not finding it. I have thought if I got my black hat right I could get that look transferred to the new one but just not sure.

I was visiting a friend yesterday and had my black hat on. I took it off and put it on a bureau in his kitchen. When I was getting ready to leave he said he had noticed my hat and that it was a size 71/4. He said he had a lite colored hat that he didn't like and asked if I might want it. Well he brought it out and I did like it. It needed some shaping but I thought it sure had potential.
He said he had tried to sell it in a garage sale but he and a guy had haggled over the price and he just wouldn't take $5.00 for it. I asked if he wanted me to give him $5.00 and he said no.

I stopped in Vernon at a western store and had a young man shape the Hat. He did a good job but it lacked just a little something. I got up this morn. and put a pot of water on to boil so I could get steam and put the finishing touches on myself. I really like this Hat. It fits good, is the right crown height, brim length, color and now shape. I will use it as a work hat. But the best part is I can now take it to a store and tell the guy I want a new one just like this.

3 comments:

Carol said...

I am so glad you finally found a hat you like and hey, you just look so sexy in it.

I was beginning to wonder if the hat you wanted even existed. I'm glad to know it does.

Glenda, saved by grace said...

Hey a good hat is hard to find. I guess, Ive never worn one...Stands to reason. When you find one that fits I say wear it, especially if your wife says you look sexy in it!
your other sister-in-law

Jocelyne said...

More blogs please! I think it would be especially interesting to hear about your rodeo days.