Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Anticipation/humiliation

We are waiting for the couple who wants to buy our house to come. We will be discussing and completing the initial contract. Carol and I have looked it over and discussed the various details and think we are comfortable with how we have filled it out. There are a lot of mixed emotions and thoughts that are involved in this major change in our lives. We want to do what is right. Both in selling this house and in relocating our lives to the next place. We believe in Gods providence and so know that what happens is his will. Regardless of what happens. Somehow, though, doubts always manage to find their way in and many thoughts push and pull your mind in lots of different directions. It will be OK.

I had lunch with a young man today that I do business with at the feedlot. I had made an agreement with him on corn stalks this fall and put cows on the stalks for the feedlot. We had agreed on 45 days and he would provide water. We had some discussion regarding additional days if needed. In my mind I was sure we had talked about 45 to 60 days. He was just as sure that we had talked about 30 to 45 days. When we got to 45 days he became pretty adamant about wanting the cows removed. I didn't have room for them in the lot and couldn't move them. We agreed on extra pay for extra days. Again his recollection of the payment was more than what I remembered. In the future I will put all this in writing. I know better but this seemed so simple and straight forward that I took the easy way out. I was also extremely busy at the time (not really an excuse I know). He is a good customer and neighbor and I wont rock the boat. I will pay what he felt we agreed on. Its not much and certainly not worth jeopardizing future dealings over.

We talked about our deal only briefly and then I tried to learn more about him. He's in his late twenties is married and has to young girls, ages 1 yr. and 4 yrs. His mom divorced when he was young and remarried when he was about 12. I asked about his relationship with his step dad. He said they didn't have much in common. That they got along alright but nothing special. That's kind of sad.

I feel sorry for Vice President Cheney. What a humbling experience. There you are riding high as the second in command of the most powerful nation in the word and then pull such a lame stunt as shooting a hunting companion. I can almost feel his humiliation. That moment has to be playing over and over in his mind. I have been there numerous times. Wishing the thing had not happened. Sometimes forgetting it for a minute but always remembering with that sickening feeling coming over me again. But you know. It never lasts. Time has a way of taking care of just about all things. Im sure he thinks now that he will never live this down or get over it but he will. I hope I can remember this the next time something like that happens to me. And something like that will happen to me again.

More later God willing.

2 comments:

Jocelyne said...

This is a horrible thing that is happening to Cheney and the man he shot who now has suffered a heart attack because of the shot lodged in his chest. I can't imagine how bad he feels. And then to have the media and all his political peers on the offensive must be absolute hell.
I am excited for you guys on the selling of your house and hopefully the soon buying of another house. It will be sad to see the olive house go and to know that most of my ties to Dalhart will be gone. Keep me posted
love ya

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jocelyne, shocking I know! It is horrible to be going through such a terrible time and to have no one on your side.
I am also a little sad about ya'll moving from Dalhart. Of course it is a little selfish on my part and I know that Amarillo will be great! Good Luck! Love ya!
Whit