Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Cool Hand Luke

Remember the part in Cool Hand Luke when the road gang was oiling and sanding a roadway?
Luke began to make a race of the work. Those guys were slinging sand like crazy and running to the next pile and slinging it. They finally ran to and slung the last pile of sand and realized they were at the end of the road. They looked around for more to do but they were finished and there was still several hours in the day. I was just out checking on the different depts. and guess what, its 4:00PM and everyone is about finished for the day. It seems we have spent the last 4 months working hard and steady but always finishing a little later in the day than you would like and always knowing that there was plenty to do tomorrow. This wont last but just for today it feels kind of good.
Whitney, Mason, Caleb (Mason's friend), and I went to see Tech and Texas play basketball in Lubbock last nite. We had an enjoyable ride over. Whitney and I visited and the boys watched videos. Carol fixed us sandwiches and snacks which we ate on the way. She made some strawberry nut bread that will make your tongue slap your brains out. It was goooood!!! She said she did it because we prob. wouldn't have time to stop. But I know at least in part she knew I would spend way too much money eating out if we went to a restaurant. I'm glad she went to the trouble to fix us up. Tech lost the game but it was still fun to go. I have been to basket ball games at Sul Ross and WT but this game had more of a university feel. There were 10,000 people there but Spirit Arena was not full at all. The band was good. The cheerleaders were excellent and the referees were perfect. The cheerleaders were like very well trained professionals. Every move was crisp and energized. The refs. called the game as if it was in Austin. There was plenty of chances to holler at em and marvel at how they could make such a one sided biased call. It was great. I had a guy in the seat next to mine that really was a fan. He had a good time and we had a good time watching him. I worried about driving back and getting sleepy. I did get sleepy around Plainview on the way back and Whitney drove on in to Amarillo. I was able to sleep and made it on the Dalhart with no problems. I would say the evening was a great success.
More later God willing. We will see.

4 comments:

Carol said...

You think you have me all figured out, don't you. LOL. You are just so funny.

I'm glad ya'll had a good time, and thanks so much for the great compliment on the Strawberry Nut Bread!

Jocelyne said...

Dad - You've got to keep this up! It's so interesting - it's like a part of you I never knew! What is "once more with feeling" from - it sounds very familiar - probably something old that I don't have reference to. :P

Jocelyne said...

ps - those cheerleaders sure made an impression on ya

Glenda, saved by grace said...

What a talented writer! This is gonna be good, this is gonna be real good! Glad to see you getting your feet wet in the blogosphere.
I look forward to tomorrow! Tell Carol she needs to put your picture up.